Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Find time to read this book.

I volunteer at the local library and I gave the librarian a list of books I would like to read. I don't care if she buys them or gets them through interlibrary loan. My latest list was of new books so we couldn't get them on loan, so she ordered them. I volunteered there yesterday, and four of my book requests were there. The librarian (Jen) let me take two home even before they were put into the system and I read one of them last night and finished it today. The title (which is a big one) is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Odd title, but a great book. I laughed, cried, and pondered through the whole book. I read parts of it out loud to Chris so he could enjoy it. Now that I have finished it, I need to get him to read it. We looked up Guernsey Island and read more about the German occupation of the island during World War II, which is the background for this book.

I'll let you know if my other book is as good as this one was. I love to read and this book carried me to the places and time of the writing. Wonderful characters - it made me want to live there and have them as my friends and be a friend like they were to each other. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Susan: Thanks for this recommendation. Jen and I belong to a book club, which includes the Gongs and a couple of other families. I am really bad at reading the books . . . just go for the food. But you have me intrigued.

--Ken

Hannah said...

I'm in a book club too, and it's actually my turn to pick the book next month (I have to tell everyone next Tuesday what it will be). Thanks for the recommendation!