Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A "fwump" in the night....

I don't know if "fwump" accurately describes the sound I heard last night. I was talking to Molly on the phone late last night as I was sitting in bed and I heard a "fwump"ing sound, like wings beating. The sound came from behind me so I figured some creature was in the little storage alcove behind the wall. I only heard it a few times so the nerves calmed down.

Fast forward to 2:15 a.m. I wake up because of a noise - something fell. What would make something fall? I didn't want to investigate but turned on the light next to my bed to see what happened. I didn't see anything at first, but then saw a bat flying erratically in our bedroom - erratically because the ceiling fan was on. I hurriedly pulled the covers over my head so did not see where the bat went. I woke up Chris so we could both be awake and nervous.

3:38 a.m. Still awake - I'm guessing I'm awake because of the fear of bats. The light is off and we shut our bedroom door and put a thick robe in front of it so no bat can come in under the door. That is, if the bat flew out of the bedroom. If it didn't fly out of the bedroom, now it can't leave. The clock keeps ticking....I know this because I'm not sleeping.

It's the afternoon now and it's been raining most of the day. That means the house is a little dark which means the bat may come out of its hiding place. Everywhere I went in the house today, I went there in trepidation. Is the bat on the shower curtain? Is it hiding on some clothes left on the floor? Did it fly in my closet because the door was open and it's dark in there? Did it go downstairs and decided to spend the day in the curtains? What is its next move?

I love where I live but I can do without these "friendly beasts". I hope I will have no more tales to tell about our resident bat.

Fwump, fwump, fwump.....

3 comments:

Shauna said...

I am scared of bats too...well I am scared of most of the creatures I come in contact with here at camp. When Mike was cleaning in the attic he found a dead mouse still in the trap he had set last fall. Luckily it was one of the electric traps so I couldn't see the mouse. It still grossed me out that it had been up there so long. There is a family of robins that live in Maintenance where we store the Gator. Each time I go over there to take the Gator out as soon as I open the door they flap around and try to fly out of the skylight. It startles me every time. We also have a squirrel or chipmunk who buries Mangus' kibble in a potted plant we have a Maintenance. I can completely empathize with your fear/annoyance with the "beasts".

Ken and Jen Perkes said...

Jen and I were so sad we missed you guys last week. We could have shared "bat stories"! I actually broke a rib with our last bat encounter. The bat flew off unharmed . . . and laughing, I am quite sure.

In any case, it was fun [sorry, I laughed] to read of your own bat encounter.

We miss you guys!

--Ken

Unknown said...

This is so brookville house.. haha miss you guys!