Monday, March 24, 2008

You're Never Too Old

I guess it's time to catch up with my kids and try my hand at 'blogging'. I enjoy reading everyone's blogs - and that's all you'll be doing with mine, at least for now - because I don't know how to add pictures. Give me some time.

Today I spent time with four women at a senior living center. We lift weights together for about an hour and it's been great for me (and hopefully for them). I like to ask them questions about their lives, families, and sometimes we just laugh and talk about food - like ice cream and banana cake (which my mom made for me on every birthday - we didn't get gifts, just our favorite cake and ice cream to go with it). Growing up with six brothers and sisters didn't allow for a lot of presents and we were alright with that - I never knew anything different. I think these women probably had similar upbringings - not a lot of money but a treasure of memories. One of the women's parents owned a candy factory and she worked there and remembers eating lots of candy. Her name is Wilma and she is tall and thin. When I first started the class, I asked them each their name and told them to tell me something about them so I could associate it with them. Besides the candy factory, she told me to think of Wilma Flintstone - and it was a perfect fit! I can't look at her now except to think of Fred and Wilma. She's very nice and very active and is in her 80's. I admire these women for their energy and willingness to try new things.

More later....

3 comments:

Emma and John said...

It sounded like you were saying you are a senior citizen at the center, too! Don't worry, you have like, 12 years before you are officially a senior. :) I am so happy you started a blog!

Shauna said...

I am so glad you started this blog!! Maybe you can inspire my parents to get on the computer :)

Anonymous said...

Howdy... I heart little old ladies too. I have my favorites at the Temple, and Karen and I did aquarobics at UNC one summer. We felt like superstars. Keep up the good blogging work. I wish my mom would blog. She won't but she loves to send mine to everyone. Now I am going to send yours to her since she loves you.

Ali of http://yeagleyspawn.blogspot.com/